So you need a website, and perhaps you’re trying to decide between hiring a professional Web Designer or using a do-it-yourself (DIY) Website Builder?
Which should you choose?
As a professional Web Designer, this is a question I commonly receive, from both those that are considering their options, and also from those who have tried to build a website themselves, using DIY platforms such as Wix, Squarespace, Weebly, or even GoDaddy’s Website Builder — and it didn’t go as well, or as easy as they anticipated.
Although DIY platforms can be easy enough to use (for folks that are reasonably tech-savvy), and can be fitting if your website needs are conventional, they also:
- Hold limitations (i.e. may not have the options, styles, and features you desire)
- Contain overlooked terms (i.e. inability to move your website to an alternate host if ever needed/required)
- Are template-based (i.e. are not original, and 1,000’s of others are using the same template)
- Don’t always cover all of the standard web essentials (i.e. mobile-friendly, SEO-friendly, cross-browser compatible)
Ask yourself these questions.
- What’s your budget? If less than $1,000, a Website Builder is likely your best option.
- Do you need a conventional website? If so, a Website Builder may meet your needs.
- Do you have spare time, and are you relatively computer savvy? If so, a Website Builder may work for you.
- If you need a new house built, do you build it yourself?
- Do you need an unconventional website with custom offerings? If so, a Web Designer will be your best option.
- Are you looking for a website with a WOW factor? If so, a professional Web Designer can provide that WOW.
- Are you busy with your business and customers, and simply don’t have the time or know-how to build a website? While you focus on doing what you do best, let a professional Web Designer focus on doing what we do best – building websites.
- If you need a new house built, do you hire a professional?
And then there’s Timmy.
But my cousin Timmy says he’ll design and develop my website for $500!?
I don’t know your cousin Timmy, and although I’m sure he’s a great guy, I’m worried he may not be a competent web designer. Why? Because his $500 quote seems to indicate that Timmy does not do web design for a living. And that’s a red flag – we all know very well – you get what you pay for!
So how much does a website by a professional Web Designer cost?
Another question I commonly receive. Imagine asking a Real Estate company, “How much does a house cost?” Well that depends.
Websites (just like houses) don’t have a generalized price tag. The total cost of your website will depend on the scale, complexity, functionality, features, elements, components, and so on.
At F3 Designs, we start off by having you fill-out a Web Planner, which provides us with the initial information we need to properly plan, scope and price your custom website.
To learn more about our services, approach and pricing, please get in touch.
I spend my days doing what I love, and what I’m best at — crafting websites.
If you decide that working with a professional Web Designer is the right fit for you, I’d love to hear from you.
In a digital world, design is one of the best tools we have to build trust with customers we may never or haven’t yet met face-to-face. Professional Web Design services will help your business create deeper connections with prospective customers.
At F3 Designs, we handcraft all of our websites to allow for unique design with minimal limitations, and ease of maintenance.
My goal is to always provide an exceptional level of service, and I aim for lasting partnerships with my clients.
I have formed strong business relationships with a talented team of creative and technical professionals, and together we offer custom web solutions to an array of clients in a wide range of industries.
With you as our co-creator, we will aim for only the very best results. A custom website worthy of your name.